One of my earlier posts was about pockets and the weird
stuff parents can expect to find in their pockets. If you haven’t read it,
check it out here.
Today I’d like to tell you a story of how my pockets almost
got me arrested. It was a typical Tuesday morning in that I was running late
and was in no mood for any crap. I had dropped Abby of at the daycare and was
standing in line at my local Tim Horton’s. It was a little cold outside and I
had on my winter jacket. You know the one. It has eight pockets on the outside
and another four inside. I get to the front of the line and order my large
double double and begin rummaging through my pockets for change. Right away I
knew what was about to happen. I was about to be that guy we all hate. The
loser that can’t find a buck sixty five and holds up the rest of the line.
I look sheepishly at the coffemaid, or customer service rep,
or whatever it is we are suppose to call the cashier at Tim Horton’s. “Sorry” I
mumble, “I had some change here a second ago.” She looks at me with her head
cocked to one side and says something supportive and understanding like “mmm-hmm”.
I figured the only way I’m gonna get through this quickly is
to start dumping out my pockets. So I fish in my pocket and pull out a car seat
belt restraint. I look at the barista (can you call them a barista?) who is
looking a little more pissed at me. I reach back in my pocket and pull out a child’s
crown. At least this time, I also manage to fish out a loonie, so I’m getting
close. I look at the coffee wench (seriously, if you know what to call them,
please let me know) who is now looking confused on top of pissed. I can imagine
she’s thinking “Why the hell is this guy walking around with a kiddy crown?”
Back to the pockets, I need 65 more cents.
By now my coffee is ready and is just sitting there waiting
for me to get my act together and get this damn money on the table. I reach
back into another pocket and pull out two quarters and one of those clunky baby
necklaces. I hear a grown and look up. The look I’m getting is the weirdest mix
of anger, frustration and confusion I have ever seen from someone making
minimum wage. Back to the pockets, men. I fish around and grasp a bunch of
change that’s wrapped up in some tissue. I try for a second to get the change
loose from the tissue and finally just accept the fact I’m gonna have to hand
this lady 15 cents from a dirty tissue. Screw it, I don’t care if she thinks I’m
gross. I’m just gonna pull out the tissue and get it over with.
Only I don’t pull out tissue. I pull out an extra pair of
Abby’s underwear that I had meant to leave at daycare. I look up and the look
of anger from the coffee getter has been replaced with pure shock. I look back
at the stuff I’ve dragged out of my pocket and quickly realize “Oh my god, she
thinks I’m a pedophile or something”
I start to stammer some sort of explanation and then quickly
realize that it is impossible to explain why I have a restraining device, child’s
hair piece, toy necklace and crumpled panties in my pocket. I fish out the last
fifteen cents, slam it on the counter, grab my coffee and get the eff out of
there as quickly as possible. The whole ride to work, I was expecting to get
pulled over based on an “anonymous tip from a concerned citizen”.
Kids. Sure they fun and all, but they’ll probably get you
arrested.
By the way, I’ve recently started going to Starbucks.
Dan, that is hilarious! And when I worked at Tim Hortons, people called me, "hey you" and stuff. We didn't have fancy names like barista. You could call her a Timmy HoHo ...
ReplyDelete